1. All my recent introspection has brought one new thought to the surface: I don’t just love knitting. I love talking and writing about knitting. And other stuff. On the principle that I should do (as in literally spend my time on, not try to earn money from) what I love, I should (let myself?) spend more time just blogging about knitting. (And other stuff.) There’s been too much “yeah that would be cool but I don’t have enough of a portfolio to make building/promoting my website worthwhile” going on in my brain, which (a) deprives me of fun and (b) turns this into too much of one of those sites I’ve been joining in complaining about; those sites that treat readers as a market, rather than as friends. Which, phooey. Yay if you like my patterns! That makes me very happy! But that’s not why I’m here.
2. It’s very definitely autumn outside but inside my head it feels something like spring. I realised this week, quite suddenly, that (a) I’m starting to kind of enjoy this stay-at-home thing? Look, I still want a job. For many reasons. But… it’s really nice to be there for my children. Now: the fact that I actually feel that, rather than accepting intellectually that it’s probably a good thing even though it sucks for me, is quietly astonishing.
And (b), equally suddenly, the idea of keeping a cat again fills me with squishy feelings, rather than mild interest overpowered with anticipatory exhaustion. (The cat hair. The sofa damage.) Again: this is a significant shift. Apparently the start of spielgruppe has had more dramatic effects than anticipated.
3. Dude is definitely, finally, totally weaned. Making this the first time in over seven years that I haven’t been subleasing my body. I feel like I should go on some sort of a bender, just on general principle, but don’t really fancy it, so I’m celebrating by drinking LIVE COFFEE AFTER 4PM. Like the wild woman I am.
4. Trello is a thing of wonder and has totally won my getting-stuff-done loyalties from Todoist, but archiving a card once you’ve done whatever it is isn’t at ALL as satisfying as putting a tick in a box. (Which was already less satisfying than checking off a paper list.) Foo.
5. I HAVE FOUND MY MISSING 4.5MM DYAKCRAFT TIPS. THE ONES I THOUGHT WERE LOST FOREVER IN TRANSIT ON RECENT HOLIDAY. Yes, yes, I know I’m shouting, it’s rude, I should apologise but OH FLUFFY GODDESS OF CASHMERE DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS MIRACLE! THEY WERE IRREPLACEABLE! THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED!
I am completely and utterly unable to comprehend how they came to be at the bottom of my (non-travelling) workbasket instead of under a faraway hotel bed so I am choosing to believe they heard my cries and flew back to me on wings of lace, chanting that mystical mantra of old, “knit one purl one” in their tiny yet mighty bonded birch voices to generate the requisite power. Occam’s razor, you know.