1. Autumn term starts tomorrow and NOT BEFORE TIME. Dude in particular really needs to get back to spielgruppe. (So do I.)
2. This term is particularly exciting because he starts one whole extra morning of spielgruppe – on a farm! He will be playing outside and feeding bunnies and learning about plants and rolling in hay! And I’ll get more quiet time! Not as much as from his other spielgruppe, sadly (it’s only 2 hours instead of 3, and it’s a bit of a drive), but still.
3. Over the past week, Elf has been going to a kind of holiday day camp where she’s had a chance to try out different activities. All great, but frankly the big benefit has been independence building. She had to go on buses with a completely strange group of kids each day (no familiar adults either). One day, she had to independently handle returning from morning class, meeting a friend, taking a bus together to lunch, returning from lunch to the base, finding out what bus she needed for her afternoon class and getting there. That’s a LOT for a 6-year-old. The whole thing was extremely well organised so we knew that nothing could really go wrong; there was always plenty of adult support available, etc. But it was a lot of responsibility. And of course it all went extremely well and she came out of it with a lot more confidence. Huge win. Have I mentioned I love Switzerland?
4. I’m working on a bunch of things right now and am at that stage where I have no faith in myself at all and I think everything sucks. I suck. I don’t know what I’m doing. It’s all the worst. I don’t know how much of this is holiday blues though (Dude has had a HARD TWO WEEKS). Probably I’ll feel better about all of it when I’ve had some time to get on top of things again. Probably.
5. Until then, there are salted peanut butter cookies. I saw this on Smitten Kitchen and realised that these cookies are probably written into my marital contract somewhere. I baked them a few hours ago. This is all that’s left.
I am not sure whether it’s a good or bad thing that they are made entirely from ingredients that I ALWAYS have on hand and that the recipe is so easy I’ve already committed it to memory. In fact, I tweeted it. One tweet.
They do not go at all badly with chocolate ice cream. In case you were wondering.