- Thursday was my last working day in the Wrong Job. I literally woke up on Friday with a smile on my face. For all the stress and insecurity and gaslighting of the place, my boss’s last words were “don’t ever change”, so I feel confident in saying it’s not me, it’s them, and there’s no reason I can’t find a job I’m actually right for. Maybe.
- I have been uncomfortably aware of how for the past… long while… these weekly updates haven’t been five moments from my week so much as five moans. Which, well, yuck. I will always defend the value of a personal blog as a place for unlimited navel-gazing (and really, what is a navel for if not to contemplate), but enough now. It may take me some time to get things back to a civilized sort of style, but I am eager to try. I fondly expect my new life of leisure to allow me all the opportunity (to do interesting things and to report on them) that I could hope for.*
- Life as a kept woman starts with a spa day today, at husband’s absolute insistence. I mean that quite literally. I’m not really a spa person but Armin is, and is convinced that a few hours of wallowing in scented steam and being gently pummeled could be just what I need to get over the general physical shitness I’ve been experiencing. Well, who am I to argue. I’m even looking forward to it.
- I’m also very much looking forward to a day at Mangwanani (where six treatments, meals, bubbly etc will all cost significantly less than just my 90-min massage tomorrow, about which I have complicated feelings) because we have finally booked flights to South Africa! We’re about a year overdue for a visit home, and the middle of Cape winter (July) wouldn’t be my first choice, but childcare gets complicated so we’ll make it work. I’m just excited to have actually made a decision at last.
- Less excitingly, I have bricked my phone, possibly not entirely not because of merging too many dragons. (I mean it shouldn’t have been overheating anyway, right, but still, and yes I am ashamed of myself.) I was just getting excited about acquiring a schmancy new Pixel when I realised it’s still under guarantee. Um, yay? For the fiscally and environmentally responsible option. Anyway, nice to know my next phone will have a great camera. One day.
- Ok that’s a flat out lie. My to-do list is as long as my arm and even with lots of lovely child-free hours at home every week, it is going to take me Some Time to wrangle it. And plus I firmly intend to take it gently for the first week, which… may not help. But is essential.
One thought on “That’s quite enough of THAT: 5 things 13.5.19”
I’m weirdly sad that I won’t be in Cape Town to see you this time around. It kinda makes me wonder if we’ll ever see each other in person ever again, now that I’m in New Zealand and all. Weird. This feeling.